Current animated shows everybody’s watching

Marceline for me was the most interesting storyline so I hope you get to watch it all.

I haven’t watched the Owl House. I keep hearing good things about it so I’m surprised it was cancelled, I didn’t know.

1 Like

No kidding. Centaurworld is straight-up body and existentialist horror in a literal reading, and a uncomfortably intense essay on how the chronic pain of trauma distorts the world and everything in it in a metaphorical reading.
Those aren’t bad things because you can make a really good show about them, but WTH made anyone think “Oh wow this is like My Little Pony”???

1 Like

In the past few days me and my wife have been returning to Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure and Cromartie High. We finished Cromartie and are rewatching it, but we watched the first two series of Jojo’s and never finished all of Stardust Crusaders so we’re finishing up that arc finally. Love both shows, Jojo’s is probably in my Top 10 animes and Cromartie DEFINITELY is. What a wild show.

Admittedly once we finish Stardust Crusaders I’m probably done with Jojo’s. I’ve seen clips from later arcs and I’m just not interested. For one thing it’s just not Jojo’s to me unless the show is filled wall to wall with characters that could only be described as impossibly jacked himbos.

I haven’t watched a lot of animated shows, but the ones I have watched recently were:

The Legend of Vox Machina: A Dungeons and Dragons show based on the first campaign of Critical Role. Very well animated and great voice acting. Is rated Mature though with violence, language and brief nudity.

Star Wars Visions: Star Wars and anime meet, what’s not to love lol

I didn’t know vox machina was out yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I just finished binge watching Invincible on Amazon Prime.

I was not familiar with Invincible prior to seeing the Amazon series, but once I saw Robert Kirkman’s name attached to it, I knew there was a strong likelihood of graphic content. I’d read most of The Walking Dead, so I was familiar with Kirkman’s work and how he likes to push the envelope when it comes to illustrated gore (for lack of a better phrase). Regardless, I was still shocked at just how graphic and gory Invincible was.

If you haven’t seen it, and if you aren’t put off by very graphic animated violence, I recommend it. Note when I say animated violence, I don’t mean cartoon violence. Instead of a cartoon squash and stretch, squashing means crushed skulls and brains splattering on the ground, and stretching means a body is ripped in half and bowels fall out. Despite the moments that made me make icky faces or put my hand over my mouth, I really enjoyed watching it. It has a compelling story.

I watched the first episode to see if it was anything worth getting into, and when the episode ended, I thought “I guess that was okay.” Then about two beats into the credits, there’s an additional scene and that’s the one that sold me on the series. So if you end up checking it out, finish the first episode and let it play into the credits before you decide whether or not it’s worth your time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was made aware of the series from memes generated from that one scene towards the end. I was worried at a couple of points that it would turn into a typical teen dramedy with super heroes but it didn’t end up following that formula. It really didn’t pull any punches.

Lower Decks the new star trek animated series is pretty good. I don’t think you need to be a star trek fan to enjoy it. The style is similar to Rick and Morty but with less crude humour.

1 Like

I just finished the second season of Amphibia. I am NOT okay. :cry: :sob:

Any fans of Tuca & Bertie in here? We’ve only just had legal access to season two here in the UK, so I re-watched season one and am checking out two as the episodes are released. Not convinced S2 has the same magic as season one, which felt very personal and heartfelt - two is getting on more towards sitcom territory.

Apart from that finally finished Bojack Horseman, which was good. Initially I didn’t much like the ending, but on reflection I think I get where they took it and why.

I haven’t heard of it before. Are there any shows you’d compare it to?

I suppose in a way you could think of it as a more upbeat and surreal Bojack Horseman, but very much focused on the female characters. Might need to caveat the upbeat - it still hits some pretty dark bits, but it takes the characters through to some level of healing; Bojack didn’t quite do that imo.

1 Like

It’s almost like a adult oriented Adventure Time from what I’ve seen.

Guilty admission, I’ve never seen a single episode of Adventure Time. Is it worth a look, if it’s streaming anywhere?

1 Like

Adventure Time was a show I was prepared to hate because of the style/character design, but it won me over because has so much heart. I love the way Jake and Finn interact with each other.

My favorite episode is “The Jiggler.”

I believe it’s still streaming on Hulu.

Any episode Finn sings autotuned is good. Ironically I don’t like autotuned singing usually.

I don’t know that I can pick out any single episode as a favourite. But I like all of Marceline’s episodes. And her story with the Ice King is just great.

This is probably my favourite scene though

Right now, I don’t have anything on my plate for animation. I quite liked the Castlevania series. I’ve never really played the games themselves, but I was familiar with Alucard and the Belmonts. But the one character I loved above all others was Isaac and the themes of cosmic justice his story explored. It is transgressive in a sense that many Japanese games are when delving into religion, despite this being western animation.

I’ve also watched all of Rick & Morty, though I could barely tell you anything about what I enjoyed, because that show is such a scattershot of parodies and references, and I love every part of it. And no, you don’t actually have to be highly intelligent to get it. Just a nerd with a library of popular sci-fi, horror and action films.

I’ve seen the first season of the Owl House and really liked it. I’ll get to the second eventually. Though I kind of feel it should be treated like a good wine, and left unopened until it can be savoured at just the right time. The word that it’s not getting further seasons really is a damper though. The very G-rated romance between Luz and Amity is how you handle that whole subject. Looking at you, Korra.

1 Like

It completely sucks that the show got shafted out of a proper third season, although Dana Terrace assures the fans that she will do the show justice in wrapping everything up with the measly 3 specials allotted to her. I hope she’s right.

I haven’t seen it as I don’t have access but I’ve heard there is a Velma spinoff series? Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

My fave take on that series thus far is the people suggesting it was deliberately created to anger everyone from progressive liberals through to 4chan incels. It seems to have attracted a lot of hate watchers.

1 Like

I’m always surprised how that works. I saw the trailer, thought it looked awful, and have ignored it since. Why waste time on something you know you’ll hate? What’s the point?

1 Like